Unveiling the best European destinations with warm and sunny weather in December, this article showcases Mediterranean havens where travelers can escape the winter chill. From the vibrant streets of Lisbon to the idyllic beaches of Malta, discover locations blessed with balmy temperatures and abundant sunshine, inviting you to indulge in outdoor adventures, cultural exploration, and relaxation.
Europe offers warm and sunny destinations to escape the cold winter months.
Madeira, Portugal, known as the “Island of Eternal Spring,” enjoys average temperatures in December ranging from 15 to 22 degrees Celsius (59-72 degrees Fahrenheit).
Tenerife, Spain, the largest of the Canary Islands, boasts balmy temperatures averaging between 18 and 22 degrees Celsius (64-72 degrees Fahrenheit) in December.
Costa Tropical, Spain, in the southern region of Andalusia, offers an average December temperature of 18-22 degrees Celsius (64-72 degrees Fahrenheit).
Sicily, Italy, the largest island in the Mediterranean, experiences mild winters with average temperatures in December ranging from 12 to 17 degrees Celsius (54-63 degrees Fahrenheit).
Cyprus, located at the crossroads of Europe, Asia, and Africa, offers delightful weather in December with average temperatures between 15 and 20 degrees Celsius (59-68 degrees Fahrenheit).
Best Weather in Europe December
Planning a European getaway in December? Escape the winter blues and discover destinations offering warm and sunny weather. From the sun-kissed shores of the Mediterranean to the subtropical havens of the Canary Islands, Europe has many hidden gems with pleasant weather during the festive season.
Canary Islands, Spain: An Oasis of Warmth
Embark on a journey to the Canary Islands, a subtropical archipelago off the coast of Africa. Known for its year-round warm climate, the Canary Islands boast an average temperature of 20-25°C (68-77°F) in December. Indulge in sun-soaked days on the golden beaches of Tenerife, explore the volcanic landscapes of Lanzarote, or discover the lush forests of La Palma.
Madeira, Portugal: Island of Eternal Spring
Escape to Madeira, a picturesque island off the coast of Portugal, renowned for its mild climate and stunning natural beauty. With an average temperature of 15-20°C (59-68°F) in December, Madeira offers a delightful blend of warm sunshine and cool breezes. Explore the island’s lush botanical gardens, hike along the scenic levadas (water channels), and soak in the beauty of its rugged coastline.
Malta: Mediterranean Charm and Sunshine
Experience the Mediterranean charm of Malta, a captivating island nation south of Sicily. Enjoy balmy temperatures averaging 15-18°C (59-64°F) in December, making it ideal for exploring its historic cities, charming villages, and stunning beaches. Discover the ancient temples of Hagar Qim and Mnajdra, delve into the vibrant culture of Valletta, and relax on the golden sands of Golden Bay.
Cyprus: Warmth and Cultural Treasures
Uncover the treasures of Cyprus, an island steeped in history and natural beauty. In December, temperatures hover around 15-20°C (59-68°F), inviting you to explore its ancient ruins, medieval castles, and pristine beaches. Visit the iconic Aphrodite’s Rock, hike through the Troodos Mountains, and savor the flavors of traditional Cypriot cuisine.
Algarve, Portugal: Sun-Soaked Shores
Escape to the Algarve, a region in southern Portugal known for its stunning coastline and mild climate. With an average temperature of 15-18°C (59-64°F) in December, the Algarve offers a welcome respite from the winter chill. Explore its dramatic cliffs, relax on its pristine beaches, and indulge in the region’s renowned seafood delicacies.
As you plan your December getaway, remember to pack light clothing, sunscreen, and a touch of holiday cheer. Embrace the festive spirit in these warm and welcoming destinations, and create unforgettable memories in the heart of Europe.
Wanna know where to find the sunniest and warmest spots in Europe in December? Look no further. From the bustling streets of biggest cities in europe to the historic and picturesque towns, there’s something for every traveler. Take a bike ride under the sun and discover new sights, explore the biggest transportation companies in Europe with ease, and get lost in the excitement of big concerts. Don’t forget to check out the biggest travel companies in Europe to plan your adventure.
Best Weather in Europe in December and January
Europe in December and January can be a magical time, with charming Christmas markets, stunning snowy landscapes, and festive celebrations. However, if you’re seeking destinations with milder weather and plenty of sunshine, fear not! Several European gems offer delightful weather conditions during these winter months.
Unveiling Europe’s Warmest Winter Havens
1. Madeira: The Island of Eternal Spring
- Madeira, a Portuguese archipelago off the coast of Africa, boasts a subtropical climate with average temperatures in December and January ranging from 15°C to 21°C (59°F to 70°F).
- Explore the island’s diverse landscapes, from lush forests and volcanic peaks to enchanting coastlines and sandy beaches.
- Enjoy outdoor activities like hiking, swimming, and whale watching, all under the glorious winter sun.
2. Canary Islands: A Year-Round Paradise
- The Canary Islands, a Spanish archipelago off the coast of Africa, offer a warm and sunny climate, with average temperatures in December and January ranging from 18°C to 24°C (64°F to 75°F).
- Discover stunning volcanic landscapes, black sand beaches, and crystal-clear waters perfect for swimming, snorkeling, and diving.
- Indulge in local delicacies and explore the vibrant culture and history of the islands.
3. Malta: A Mediterranean Gem
- Malta, an island nation in the Mediterranean Sea, enjoys mild winters with average temperatures in December and January ranging from 12°C to 17°C (54°F to 63°F).
- Explore ancient ruins, medieval towns, and stunning coastlines, all while basking in the warm winter sun.
- Experience Malta’s vibrant nightlife, indulge in delicious Mediterranean cuisine, and take part in various outdoor activities.
4. Cyprus: A Sun-Kissed Embrace
- Cyprus, an island located at the crossroads of Europe, Asia, and Africa, offers pleasant weather in December and January, with average temperatures ranging from 15°C to 20°C (59°F to 68°F).
- Discover ancient ruins, Byzantine churches, picturesque villages, and stunning beaches against a backdrop of azure waters.
- Enjoy outdoor activities like hiking, cycling, and water sports, all while relishing the warm winter climate.
- Europe offers several destinations with best weather in europe in december and january, allowing travelers to escape the cold and enjoy warm and sunny getaways.
- Madeira, the Canary Islands, Malta, and Cyprus are among the top choices for mild winter climates, offering diverse landscapes, cultural attractions, and outdoor activities.
- These destinations provide an opportunity to explore historical sites, indulge in local cuisine, and create unforgettable memories in a pleasant winter setting.
Relevant URL Sources:
Best Warm Weather Vacations in December Europe
Winter doesn’t always mean freezing temperatures and snow-covered landscapes. Europe offers an array of destinations with warm and sunny weather in December, perfect for escaping the cold and embracing the warmth.
Canary Islands, Spain
The Canary Islands, an archipelago off the coast of Africa, enjoys a subtropical climate year-round. December temperatures average between 18°C to 24°C (64°F to 75°F), making it an ideal destination for sun-seekers. Explore diverse landscapes, including volcanic peaks, lush forests, black sand beaches, and crystal-clear waters. Indulge in outdoor activities like swimming, snorkeling, diving, hiking, and cycling.
With its mild winters and average temperatures ranging from 12°C to 17°C (54°F to 63°F), Malta is a Mediterranean gem for those seeking warm weather in December. Discover ancient ruins, medieval towns, and stunning coastlines under the warm winter sun. Experience vibrant nightlife, indulge in Mediterranean cuisine, and take part in outdoor activities such as swimming, hiking, and sailing.
Cyprus, situated at the crossroads of Europe, Asia, and Africa, offers pleasant weather with average temperatures ranging from 15°C to 20°C (59°F to 68°F) in December. Uncover ancient ruins, Byzantine churches, picturesque villages, and stunning beaches. Enjoy outdoor activities like hiking, cycling, and water sports in the warm winter climate.
- The Canary Islands offer a subtropical climate, diverse landscapes, and outdoor activities.
- Malta boasts mild winters, ancient ruins, medieval towns, and Mediterranean cuisine.
- Cyprus combines warm weather, historical sites, and outdoor adventures.
Q1: Which region in Europe offers the best weather in December?
A1: Southern Europe, due to its proximity to the Mediterranean Sea, boasts sunny winter days with mild temperatures, making it an ideal destination for a warm escape in December.
Q2: What are the average temperatures in popular Southern European destinations in December?
A2: Average temperatures in popular Southern European destinations like Tenerife, Canary Islands (Spain), Lisbon, Portugal, and Seville, Spain, range between 15°C to 20°C (59°F to 68°F), providing a comfortable and pleasant climate for outdoor activities and sightseeing.
Q3: What types of activities can I enjoy in Southern Europe during December?
A3: Southern Europe offers a wide range of activities to enjoy in December, including sunbathing, swimming, hiking, biking, exploring historical sites, indulging in local cuisine, and participating in cultural events and festivals.
Q4: Are there any cultural or festive events taking place in Southern Europe in December?
A4: Yes, December is a time of celebration in Southern Europe, with various cultural and festive events taking place. Some popular events include Christmas markets, nativity scenes, New Year’s Eve parties, and traditional winter festivals.
Q5: What are some must-visit destinations in Southern Europe for a warm and sunny December getaway?
A5: Some of the must-visit destinations in Southern Europe for a warm and sunny December getaway include the Canary Islands (Spain), the Algarve (Portugal), Cyprus, Malta, and Sicily (Italy), offering stunning beaches, historical landmarks, vibrant cities, and delicious cuisine.